Men’s College Basketball – Furman remains the top basketball story in the Upstate/Western Carolina region this year. The Paladins are 12-0 to date and are ranked #24 nationally in the latest AP Poll. On Saturday, they travel to Baton Rouge, Louisiana to face the SEC’s LSU (8-4) at 8:00 p.m. Last week I spoke with head coach Bob Richey and two key team members – Matt Rafferty and Jordan Lyons – and on Tuesday contributed an article to Forbes on the team’s outstanding efforts to date.
The WCU Catamounts were live on the Big-10 Network on Tuesday night against the #23 Iowa Hawkeyes (9-2) in Iowa City. The Hawkeyes prevailed, 78-60. Marc Gosselin led all WCU scorers with 17 points.
In the Mountain Five, the Mars Hill Lions have already eclipsed last year’s wins total with a 6-4 mark on the season. They defeated Carson-Newman (Tenn.)(6-4) on Wednesday night by a final score of 87-74. The Lions are led Vic Finora who is in his second full season leading the team. Finora played his undergraduate basketball for the NAIA’s William Penn.
Records of area teams include:
NCAA Division I:
- Furman (#24) (Southern) (12-0, 1-0)
- Western Carolina (Southern) (3-10, 0-1)
- UNC Asheville (Big South) (1-10, 0-0)
- Montreat (NAIA DII) (#25) (8-2, 6-1)
- Mars Hill (NCAA DII) (6-4, 1-2)
- Brevard (NCAA DIII) (4-5, 1-2)
- Warren Wilson (USCAA DII) (6-8, 2-1)
- Lees-McRae (NCAA DII) (5-7, 2-2)
Next Fieldhouse Report: Women’s college basketball and more