WAKE FOREST, N.C. (June 4, 2018) – The campus of Wake Forest University is located in Winston-Salem, some 100 miles west of the town of Wake Forest. The reason? In 1946, following large donations from a philanthropic foundation established by descendants of R.J. Reynolds, the (then) College decided to relocate to grounds on the estate of the family within the much-larger city. The move was completed a decade later in 1956.
The former Wake Forest College campus is now home to the Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary. At the time it occurred, the move came as a heavy economic blow to the small town, which grew up around the College and derived its name from it. A silver lining today is a campus and town that, away from the dramatic growth that accompanied the expansion of many institutions within the Atlantic Coast Conference (ACC), retain much of the character and architecture of a small, historic community.
Pictured here are several shots of historic Gore Gymnasium (now part of the Seminary’s Ledford Center), and some of the 19th century buildings that line the quad. (photos – copyright Tom Flynn)